For most participants, getting to the festival site will mean road transportation from San Diego. See belown for options and details.
Flying into San Diego is easy! There are too many hotels with too big a range of amenities and budgets for us to make recommendations If it's on "Hotel Circle", or near the airport, San Diego Bay, or Mission Bay, it's close enough!
It's an easy drive on good roads if you want to drive yourself. You are also welcome to caravan with our scheduled van departure, or join us on a van ($70 for roundtrip transportation). If you would like to drive your own vehicle, we will happily help arrange carpooling to save expenses. Please, if you share a ride, plan on giving your driver $40-60 (for roundtrip) to cover gas, Mexican auto insurance, etc
Please remember your valid PASSPORT! A drivers license is NOT accepted anymore!
If you drive:
1) Please make sure you have good directions from us as well as exchanging contact phone numbers.
2) You will need Mexican Auto Insurance which you can obtain just before the border crossing at drive-through insurance providers. You will need your registration card. The cost is about $25/day + or - depending on the value of your vehicle. You MUST get this. Trust us, your US policy is not sufficient. Really. Ask us for more details.
3) Gas is good quality and easily available at modern gas stations! They have attendants who pump it for you. They will accept pesos or US dollars and give you the going exchange rate, or pretty darn close to it. Most accept credit cards, but unless you've told your credit card company about your Mexico travel plans, they may deny the charges!
If you rent a car:
1) Not all car companies will let you take their vehicles into Baja. Ask, and ask again. They will require you to purchase Mexican auto insurance through them, so you will see a higher price than you expect, but this is necessary. Your US policy is NOT sufficient. Last I checked, Avis allowed Baja rentals (but be sure they know where you're going so there are no surprises) and www.cabaja.com specialize in it!
If you caravan or ride with us:
1) Round trip transportation in one of our vans will be $70.
2) Guaranteed van schedules:
Friday April 15 - 10am departure from Aqua Adventures (we can do hotel pick-ups in the morning)
Monday April 18 - 5pm departure from Baja (returning to the US about 9 or 10pm)
Wed. April 20 - 4pm departure from Baja (returning to the US about 9pm)
The most unpredicatble part is the border wait back into the US. We've scheduled our returns on weekdays to make it as short as possible - probably an hour, but you can never be sure.....It's best to schedule flights out of San Diego early the next morning. We will do a drop off at the airport so you can catch a hotel shuttle to your hotel.